Restoring Your Power
When devastating weather causes major damage to REC's electric system, it takes a systematic plan to restore power. Crews working long, hard hours after an outage perform a major task that involves much more than flipping a switch or removing a tree from the line. This task is one that must be done methodically and safely.
REC's priority is safety. Coordination with the Virginia Department of Transportation ensures access
to areas where restoration work needs to be conducted. In addition, REC works directly with local emergency services departments to respond to public safety issues. REC appreciates your patience and understanding during times when outages occur. Please be assured the Cooperative is doing everything possible to restore power as quickly and safely as possible. Outage updates are available on REC's website or by visiting REC's Facebook and Twitter pages. If you experience an outage, please report it online here or by calling 1-800-552-3904. If you are aware of the cause of the outage, please speak with a customer service representative to report the cause.
OUTAGE PREP CHECKLIST
Use this checklist to assemble an Emergency Storm Kit.
- Flashlights and fresh batteries.
- Battery-powered radio or TV and extra batteries.
- Land-line phone with cord (cordless phones require electricity).
- Battery-powered or windup alarm clock.
- Supply of bottled water (one gallon per person per day).
- Non-perishable foods that require no heating.
- Blankets, bedding or sleeping bags.
- First-aid kit and prescription medications.
- Hand-operated can opener.
- Special items for infants, the elderly or family members with special needs.
- A variety of hand tools.
- List of emergency and REC phone numbers.
- Identification and copies of important family documents in a waterproof container.
- Cash (ATMs may be unavailable).