Each LEARN Grant is meant to supplement - but not replace - state, local or other sources of funding for specific projects. Organizations seeking funding for a project that will benefit the Cooperative’s membership are encouraged to participate in the LEARN Grant program.
Education Grants - Five $500 and three $1,000 grants will be awarded to individual teachers, or groups of teachers, from grades K-12 who demonstrate creative teaching methods to students of Cooperative member-owners.
Community Grants - One $2,000 and four $1,000 grants will be awarded to non-profit organizations serving REC members, or whose services directly benefit them.
Emergency Service Grants - Three $1,500 grants will be awarded to emergency response teams who are served by REC, or whose services directly benefit REC members.
2017 LEARN Grant Recipients:
- $2,000 - A Farm Less Ordinary - Clarke County - providing employment for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities
- $1,000 - The Paul Stefan Foundation - Orange County – providing college tuition assistance for low-income single mothers
- $1,000 - Piedmont Regional Dental Clinic - the counties of Orange, Greene, Madison and Culpeper - providing reduced cost or free dental care for low-income veterans
- $1,000 - Central Rappahannock Regional Library - the counties of Spotsylvania and Stafford - bringing critical library and technology services to rural communities via pop-up libraries
- $1,000 - Family Promises of Shenandoah County – Shenandoah - helping homeless families seek employment and permanent housing
- $1,000 - Essex High School – Essex County – supporting computer programming curriculum/STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) program
- $1,000 - Mary Walter Elementary – Fauquier County – providing software licensing for Title 1 reading and math programs
- $1,000 - Stonewall Elementary School – Frederick County – upgrading of classroom seating in reading classes
- $500 - South Anna Elementary – Hanover County - creation of a professional advisory committee to create STEM lessons for 3rd - 5th grades
- $500 - Brock Road Elementary – Spotsylvania County – supporting purchase of tablet PCs for classrooms
- $500 - Beaverdam Elementary School – Hanover County – creation of dedicated space for STEM curriculum
- $500 - Orange County High School – Orange County – supporting the outdoor classroom and greenhouse
- $500 - Spotsylvania County Public Schools – Spotsylvania County - providing lab experiences with electricity using Snap Circuit Electricity Kits
- $1,500 - Lake of the Woods Rescue Squad – Orange County - EMT training for treating cardiac arrest
- $1,500 - Sperryville Volunteer Rescue – Rappahannock County - CPR training for volunteers
- $1,500 - Winchester Sheriffs Foundation – Frederick County – supporting the Project Lifesaver initiative
For Additional Information Contact:
Justin Cruise, REC's public relations specialist,
1-800-552-3904, ext. 5905