Energy Saving Tips
Low-cost and no-cost ways to save:
- Set your thermostat comfortably low (68° F) in the winter and comfortably high in the summer (78° F).
- Install a digital thermostat that will give you better control and accuracy of the temperature in your home.
- Use compact fluorescent light bulbs. (And review these disposal guidelines.)
- Air dry dishes instead of using the dishwasher's drying cycle.
- Turn off your computer and monitor when not in use.
- Plug home electronics, such as TVs and DVD players, into power strips; turn the power strips off when the equipment is not in use. (TVs and DVD players in standby mode still use several watts of power.)
- Lower the thermostat on your water heater to 120° F.
- Take short showers instead of baths.
- Wash only full loads of dishes and clothes.
- Caulk around windows and doors to seal cracks.
- Replace air filters regularly.
Have questions about saving energy? E-mail us at email@example.com.