Start/Stop Service

New service and new construction

To request electrical service for a location that has been served by REC in the past or to request electrical service for a first-time metered account please call our office at 800-552-3904. A non-residential member may provide a Surety Bond or Irrevocable Letter of Credit to guarantee payment for the deposit amount. Review the documents below if a standard form is not provided by your insurance company or banking institute.

Commercial members can help facilitate new or expanded service requests by filling out our Connected Load Information Form.

A customer service representative may then direct you to print and fill out our Non-Residential Membership Service Contract, which can be faxed to 540-891-5988.

Disconnect service

Please complete our online Disconnect Service Request to request termination of your electrical service.