Our Detailed Instructions

We look forward to providing electric service to your new property and would like to take this time to welcome you as a new member to our electric cooperative family. The installation of electrical facilities is governed by state and local regulations and guidelines, as well as REC policies. These regulations, guidelines, and policies identify the terms of the business relationship between members and REC, and, ensure electrical facilities are designed and installed equitably, legally and safely.

1. In an effort to make your customer service experience flow more expediently, we would ask that you have the following information available when you contact our field engineering personnel to make your request for new electric service:

• 911 address and county of the property where you want new electric service connected
• Billing address, if not the same as new location
• Names, social security numbers, and contact numbers for the members requesting new electric service
• Type of structure you are requesting new electric service to (Home, Barn, Garage)
• Amperage of electric service being requested (200,320,400)
• County Tax Map and Parcel numbers
• Square footage of the structure being connected
• Type and size of heating and cooling system to be used (heat pump tonnage or BTU)
• Type (electric or gas) of additional load, water heaters, cooking range, dish washers, washer/dryers
• Type of service being requested (overhead or underground)
• If known, the location of nearest REC electrical facilities to structure you are requesting new service for
• Faxable copy of site plan, showing structure site, drain fields, well, or water and sewer facilities and location of any other private facilities

2. Once you have contacted our field engineering department and provided this information, your request will be assigned a work request number that will be provided to you. Please keep this number available as you will need to give it to your respective county building inspectors office to coordinate their electrical inspection on your new property. It will also be for your reference going forward, to acquire information from the Cooperative regarding your request. At this point, a Distribution Designer from our Field Engineering department will be assigned to your request. Within a few days they will either meet with you on site or contact you asking for information. When they visit the site they will determine the route and type of facilities required to provide service to your property, and the following is a list of what they will provide to you so your request can move to the actual construction stage:

• A meter base to be installed by your electrician, who will need to notify the Cooperative when installation is complete
• Information on policies and regulations that apply to your request for service
• Easements and/or contracts that will need to be signed and notarized by you and returned to the Cooperative
• A cost for the work to be done, which will need to be paid prior to the beginning of any construction
• A contact to Miss Utility, when needed, to locate all utilities in the area of construction

Once you have fulfilled your responsibilities as described above, and we have received the electrical inspection approval from therespective county building inspectors office, your request will be forwarded to our construction department for the scheduling of the actual installation of Cooperative facilities. The timeline between the electrical inspection approval notice and the actual connection of service varies greatly due to many factors including weather conditions and work load. However, your Distribution Designer will be able to provide an estimate of this timeline when the job is released to the construction department for scheduling. We again welcome you as a new member, and we want the above described process to flow as quickly as possible. Should you have any questions or concerns about the information provided above, please call 1-800-552-3904 to contact anyone in our Field Engineering Department, and they will assist you.