Smart Response AC Switch
Earn bill credits by participating in the Smart Reponse AC Switch
You have the power to help manage rising energy costs at your Cooperative. By enrolling in the Smart Response AC Switch program you can better manage our energy resources, help the environment, and earn credits on your electric bill.
Making smart energy choices has never been easier! Here are the 3 reasons to join our Smart Response AC Switch program:
1. YOU PAY NOTHING — We provide the unit to cycle your air conditioning unit on and off. The free installation is performed by a qualified HVAC technician from our business partner, Utility Partners of America.
2. WE PAY YOU — As our way of saying thank you for joining our program, you will receive a one-time credit* of $25 on your REC electric bill! In addition, you will receive a $6 credit on your electric bill each month from June through September. That monthly seasonal credit will continue as long as you remain an active participant.
3. IT'S THE RIGHT THING TO DO — We must work together to manage the rising cost of wholesale power. REC offers this program to reduce electricity demand during the hottest days of the year. This helps avoid having to import expensive electricity into our electrical system, reduces the strain on the system, and may even help delay the need for new power generation.
How the program works The Smart Response AC Switch program allows us to send a signal to your AC unit during times when electricity is in the highest demand. The signal will cycle your AC unit on and off a few minutes each hour. The fan will continue to run, keeping your home comfortable. Most participants never notice a difference. Participation is easy, voluntary and 100% free!
JOIN TODAY! Fill out our easy, online form or call 800-851-3275.
Additional things you can do to stay more comfortable during a peak event:
•Turn off unnecessary indoor lights, and replace incandescent bulbs with compact fluorescent or LED bulbs.
• Delay the use of heat-producing appliances, such as the oven or clothes dryer.
• Use your ceiling fans; make sure they are turning in the forward direction (counter-clockwise). This will force the room air down on you giving you the wind chill effect that makes you feel cooler.
•Close window curtains and blinds to shade your living space.
• Turn off electronics that are not being used, such as computers, TVs and DVD players.
*$25 credit provided upon active participation in the program through the end of the cooling season in which you enrolled.