Home Electric Safety
Follow these safety tips to stay safe in your home:
Check electrical cords for frays and nicks.
Turn off, unplug and repair any appliance that sputters, stalls or gives the slightest shock.
Make sure plugs and prongs aren't loose or worn.
Don't place cords where they could be tripped over or under rugs.
Never use an electric tool or appliance if your hands or feet are wet or if you are standing in water or on a damp floor.
Insert specially designed plastic caps in low wall outlets when not in use to protect children from getting an electrical shock.
Teach your children the rules of electrical safety.
Never attempt to do home wiring improvements yourself. Call a qualified electrical contractor.
Know where your fuse box or circuit breaker panel is located.
Equip your home with a Class "C" fire extinguisher for electrical fires and check it periodically.
Unplug small appliances immediately after using them.
Look for the Underwriter's Laboratory label on every appliance you buy.
Don't risk overloading wall outlets with adapters.
Avoid using extension cords for permanent uses.
Download The National Electrical Safety Advocate Guide
Space Heater Safety