Before you dig, call VA811 (formerly Miss Utility) at 8-1-1 to have utility lines marked. The service is free, and it is the law.
For suggestions on specific trees that are suitable for planting in your area, please review our Vegetation Management brochure
- Dig a hole that is at least twice as wide, but no deeper than the size of the tree's root system.
- Place the tree in the hole at a depth where the soil line is the same as it was in its container.
- Back fill the hole then firm the soil, while holding the tree in a straight, upright position. When the hole is almost filled, water thoroughly and then complete filling.
- It will take about six months to one year for the tree to get fully established.
- Avoid fertilizing at planting or during the first year when it's easy to burn roots on newly planted trees.